IMHO the customer holds sway in a decision like this.  Of course, this is
subject to local convention -- meaning if you as a supplier and your
customer can agree to something else (or you as a buyer are willing to let
your supplier's standards prevail,) that's great.  But in my EDI
indoctrination -er- training, I was told that generally speaking it was the
customer's or buyers' standards that needed to be adhered to.