Frank Dreisch wrote:

> Ken Steel wrote:
>
> "XML uses tags to identify data. Those tags are in a given language.
> XML cannot, therefore, be
> used in multilingual environments."

> Ken, to use XML in multilingual environments is feasable. If you use
> X12, EDIFACT, IDoc or other EDI tags. This approach is kind of
> "self-explanatory": for programmers familiar with EDI.

That does not make sense. The reason X12/EDIFACT are language independent
is that they don't use data tags at all! Data is presented in fixed
positions within a segment - ie it is identified by position, not tags.

Thus the language dependence situation with X12/EDIFACT is totally
different to XML which relies on tags to identify data.

I'm afraid I lose interest very quickly in impractical philosophical
discussions.

--
Ken Steel
ICARIS Services