Evaluated receipts settlement (ERS) is also typically employed along with a
VMI (vendor managed inventory) process. In a process of this type both the
vendor and the buyer sync up their item master files with current/correct
product data, including pricing. The buyer then provides the vendor with
regular (daily or sometimes even more frequently) inventory status of
point-of-sale data which the vendor uses to calculate replenishment. The
details of replenishment levels are all pre-determined and agreed-to. Thus,
the issue/concern expressed below about pricing discrepancies goes away
since the buyer pays for it was received (in good condition) based on
pre-determined and agreed-to pricing. Periodically, typically monthly, an
audit and reconciliation is performed and appropriate adjustment made as
needed.

Of course, this process works effectively only when the buyer and the vendor
truly work together as trusted business partners. If the relationship
remains one of arm's length and adversarial in nature, then all bets are
off.

Rachel

I have received a couple responses from people indicating that this concept
can work, here are my thoughts to address the questions you raised, I'm
interested to hear what other potential issues there may be: (see edited
original message below)