Doug,

this certainly looks like it could become an interesting discussion
(maybe those on the list 3 years or longer will think differently).

First of all, no disagreement on whether X12 is a standard that is
used internationally. It is even used quite a bit here in Europe with
US originating multinationals. However, whether that makes it qualify
as an international standard? I believe that the ASC X12 works under
the ANSI banner and ANSI is the American standards institute (I have a
feeling that I will be corrected on this one, just like EAN
international is 'European') whereas UN/EDIFACT is associated with the
united nations.

The more interesting question is: do EDI documents provide a good
basis for building a data model/repository. In my opinion they do as
they are built from consensus among a set of users of these documents
and are regularly reviewed and tried in practice. It would certainly
be a more sensible approach than just guessing what a good limit would
be.

If that assumption is accepted, the question becomes, what standard
for EDI documents to use? Maybe both, and using the max length of
both, or maybe the minimal max length, because it works both ways. Not
only should an application be able to accomodate data elements upto a
given length, but it should also not produce data elements that exceed
a given length.

I guess this latter issue was possibly not given sufficient
consideration when the request to extend to 40 or even 48 characters
was reviewed for the manufacturers part number. My guess is that a
part number of e.g. 46 characters may make it extra difficult for the
requestor to do business with its desired trading partners. Maybe the
person that made the data maintenance request is on the list and is
willing to comment and explain.

Erlend - DHL