Paula, In the strict definition of the UNOA and UNOB (I found them in the
ISO 9735 Version 2--a version of the syntax used by UN/EDIFACT), the "@"
character is not defined.  These character sets were defined, I believe, in
Europe where, until e-mail became a big thing, the "@" character was not in
common use.

ISO 9735 Version 3 added four new character sets (UNOC, UNOD, UNOE and
UNOF) to the character set repertoire.  Each utilizes the 7-bit ASCII
character representations for the lower 128 (of the 256 single-byte
characters) and "@" is defined in all four sets.  Unless you are using the
"@" as a separator ("[EMAIL PROTECTED]" doesn't count), you shouldn't need
the UNA.

Best regards
Bill Chessman, SMTS
Peregrine Systems, Inc. (formerly Harbinger)