Paula Cadle, of DotCom Technologies, Inc., has an SMTP e-mail address
specified in an EDIFACT version D99A IFTMIN message. The FORESIGHT
EDISIM Analyzer shows a warning message complaining about the at-sign
(@) within the e-mail address.   This happens whenever she uses either
the UNOA or UNOB Syntax identifier in the UNB Interchange Header.  But
when using the UNOC syntax level (and a UNA segment to use the default
delimiters), the message is making it through Analyzer without a
warning.

Paula wants to know if there "are there other ways to use special
characters in EDIFACT messages without generating syntax warnings?"

Dear Paula:

Thank you for using FORESIGHT's products.  We always like to hear from
our customers, and I encourage you to call our toll-free support number,
where you almost always get a real, live person at the other end to help
you use EDISIM in rolling out your EDI trading partner program.
Alternatively, you can write EDISIM Technical Support at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  And you can even join the EDISIM Users
Mailing List, which is free and available to any FORESIGHT customer; see
http://www.foresightcorp.com/pages/resources/resources.html for details
on subscribing.

As Bill Chessman pointed out, "[in] the strict definition of the UNOA
and UNOB [for EDIFACT Syntax Versions 2 and 3] , the '@' character is
not defined."  The EDISIM Analyzer is noting the at-sign as being out of
compliance with the warning message "COM01-C07601 (D.E. 3148) at col. 5
doesn't conform to Level A character set."  As Chris Johnson noted, this
EDIFACT restriction is often ignored in the "real world," because
"interchange partners [can] agree to use other or additional characters"
than those specified in Section 5, CHARACTER SETS, of the EDIFACT
Application level syntax rules at
http://www.unece.org/trade/untdid/texts/d422_d.htm

You can have the EDISIM Analyzer ignore this condition and suppress the
warning messages by using the message filtering feature.  Simply right
click on the warning message itself, select "Diagnostic Message Type,"
then set to "ignore." Then under "View," cause ignored messages to be
hidden by unchecking "Ignore" under "Diagnostic Message Type."  Voilą,
the offending message disappears!

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Memorial Pkwy.