Quoted text is from <00f701c03f5e$c00f5580$3001a8c0@slxdev4>, by Paula
Cadle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>    As I am not very familiar with EDIFACT, are there other ways to use
>     special characters in EDIFACT messages without generating syntax
>    warnings?

The 0001 data element can have the following values to define the
character set used.

   UNOA   UN/ECE level A             As defined in ISO 9735.
   UNOB   UN/ECE level B             As defined in ISO 9735.
   UNOC   UN/ECE level C
             As defined in ISO 8859-1 : Information processing -
             Part 1: Latin alphabet No. 1.
   UNOD   UN/ECE level D
             As defined in ISO 8859-2 : Information processing -
             Part 2: Latin alphabet No. 2.
   UNOE   UN/ECE level E
             As defined in ISO 8859-5 : Information processing -
             Part 5: Latin/Cyrillic alphabet.
   UNOF   UN/ECE level F
             As defined in ISO 8859-7 : Information processing -
             Part 7: Latin/Greek alphabet.

Anything other than UNOA uses the level B syntax characters (the
unprintable ones!) by default, and therefore a UNA is generally used to
set the syntax characters back to the level A standard.

On a practical level the allowed characters in the chosen set are often
ignored in real world EDIFACT EDI. The standard does have a 'by mutual
agreement' escape clause which sanctions this after a fashion.

Regards
Chris
--
Chris Johnson  +44 (0)20 8501 1490 (home)
EDIMatrix Ltd  +44 (0)20 8559 2454 (work)