The reason I went with using the 850 combination of product (PO1 stuff) such
as qty., price, product code and then using the PID with qualifiers was that
by sending two separate documents, the supplier would then have to piece the
two documents together.

This worked well for us until we ran into product codes that were all zeroes.
 This was for sending our products out for refinishing or completing, thus,
we had no codes for this.  But where we had valid product codes, it worked
extremely well.

I also built some software that allowed our suppliers to take in the 850's,
store the data in a database, and also build a Parts description database
that would automatically check that product code and see if it is in the
database.  If it wasn't, the software would automatically add the product and
the associated description.  The key point for the suppliers was it would
also automatically verify the Revision level of the part coming in.  In the
past, this was a manual process, prone to error.  Now the suppliers could
take in the EDI documents, get a cup of coffee, and check the report that I
also created using the X12 data in either the wrapped or unwrapped format,
and let them know if the revision level has changed from this PO to the
previous.  This was the "carrot" that was offered to our suppliers to get
them to do EDI with us.

Later on, I added the software that allowed the supplier to send in an 810
and receive our 824's.