Title: RE: Odd character as sub-element separator

Not true. the two characters (a.k.a. "nibbles") that make up one byte are represented as one character, whether hex, ebcdic, ascii, whatever.  The only rule I know of is the sub-element separator cannot be the same as the element separator because of international concerns.

    -----Original Message-----
    From:   Anthony Whitehead [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
    Sent:   Wednesday, November 08, 2000 9:07 AM
    To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Subject:        Re: Odd character as sub-element seperator

    Well, I have never encountered any rules when it comes to separators, if I am
    wrong I would hope someone on the list would enlighten me!

    to reply to the statement below I am not quite sure I understand your first
    paragraph, you are looking at the ISA16 and stating that the min/max is 1. This
    is true but it is the actual character not in hex format.  If it were looking at
    the hex character then nothing would work because all hex characters are 2
    charters representing one key character.

    Also you stated further restrictions! I did not see this information but if you
    notice you se special_char, other special_char! Dont you think that is vague?
    What is the limitation on a special character?

    I still think there are no limitations or written rules for EDI separators!

    Again, if I am wrong someone tell me!

    Anthony Whitehead
    Technology Enablement
    Andersen Consulting

    =->
    =->No rules?  The only documentation I have to hand is for 3010, but
    =->it certainly has rules.  For a start, it "I15  Subelement Seperator"
    =->in ISA is format AN 1/1 - so is subgect to the character set
    =->restrictions of string data elements - so ASCII 0xAD, or any other
    =->Hi-ASCII character, would seem to be excluded.
    =->
    =->Moreover, the Appendix to Interchange Control Structures, further
    =->restricts Subelement Separator to:
    =-><us> ::= <special_char>|<other-special_char>|<control_char>|
    =->                <extended_control_char>
    =->although this appears to be "recommended", not obligatory.
    =->
    =->Have these restrictions been dropped in later releases, or am I
    =->misunderstanding something?
    =->
    =->Cheers,
    =->Robert Dakin
    =->___________________________________________________________
    =->Dr Robert Dakin
    =->Dakin Technology
    =->[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    =->Home page:   http://www.pcug.org.au/~daktec/
    =->Tel: +61 2 6255 1436  Fax: +61 2 6255 1304
    =->
    =->
    =->el: +61 2 6255 1436  Fax: +61 2 6255 1304c/_______________am I rr "enTo
    signoff
    =->the EDI-L list,  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    =->To subscribe,               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    =->To contact the list owner:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    =->Archives at http://www.mail-archive.com/edi-l%40listserv.ucop.edu/
    =->