William J. Kammerer, of  FORESIGHT Corp., wrote:

> Please don't suggest "discussion and subsequent rulings on the use of
> these delimiters."  Any requests for interpretation of X12 regarding
> these matters would just bounce back to me, the all-powerful chair of
> the X12C/TG02- the X12 Syntax Task Group within X12C Communications and
> Controls.  Frankly, that job doesn't satisfy my alpha-male need for
> lording over everyone, which the Ohio Senate may have provided me.
> Unfortunately, I could turn out only 30,000 of my personal friends to
> vote for me;  for more on this breaking story, see "Mead wins senate
> run: House veteran scores victory by 3-1 margin," at
> http://www.thisweeknews.com/11.08-11.15/ele/elenews3.html.  Given the
> goings-on in Florida, I am going to retract my concession to Mrs. Mead
> and demand a recount.
>
> Stuff about delimiters is covered in the X12.6 Application Control
> Structure standard, with some overlap in X12.5 Interchange Control
> Structures.  The sections on delimiters are very convoluted, and
> explicitly lay out the allowable character graphics rather than simply
> referring to standards like ISO-646 (ASCII) or ISO 8859.  I believe
> explicitness in the X12 standard, showing allowable graphics, was chosen
> in a vain attempt to avoid questions where EBCDIC and ASCII had no
> direct correlates.  It should be noted that the inverted exclamation
> point (¡) exists in the X12.6 Select language characters, making it a
> "valid" sub-element separator.

Dear William:

Let me clarify again that I do not represent Sterling Commerce ("Lee
LoFrisco, of Sterling Commerce").  My work as an independent consultant
allows me the opportunity to work with many vendors, software developers and
end users.  My comments are my opinion only.

With that out of the way, thanks for your clarification.  I'm sure the
section on delimiters will make good reading during my morning "routine".
As you wrote, "sections on delimiters are very convoluted", suggests to me
that perhaps *some* work is needed to clarify their usage.  Any comment on
my suggestion to replace these *convuluted* delimiters before translation as
a viable alternative?