From: Mark Dixon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2000 7:55 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Odd character as sub-element seperator
Newbie Question:
I have just started testing X12 (4010) with a large company that has
apparently been doing EDI for a long time. I have just downloaded the first
batch of test messages from an IBM Information Exchange network over the
AT&T secure IP network. I had a problem when I tried translating the test
messages to a flat mapping to view the contents:
There is an oddity in the ISA: The sub-element separator is specified as
0xAD, that is a minus sign with the high-order bit on.
1. Why would this be? Perhaps I can answer my own question there: my guess
is that the output is from an IBM mainframe and this the result of a wierd
EBCDIC to ASCII conversion.
2. Is it valid? Ie. should I try to insist that they change it?
3. Any suggestions on what I should do about it? (In this case it is
probably me that will have to adapt, not the trading partner because they
are very big and my organisation is very small).
Cheers, Mark Dixon, Anysize Software Pty Ltd
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: +61 8 9249 4703 Fax: +61 8 9249 4052