Ken Steel wrote:

>Some discussion points here.

>1. Web hosted applications are C2B. EDI is B2B. So the two are used
>for totally different and quite complementary applications.

Web hosted applications aren't exclusively C2B.  I've worked with a
procurement system vendor, a transportation management system vendor and
some visibility tools vendors.  All of these products have both C2B and B2B
XML interfaces.

>2. Why are data organised in XML syntax any more a "structured
>format" than data organised in a trad-edi format?

I don't think they are.

>3. Why are all of the claims you make for data transported in XML
>syntax via http) not equally true for data transported in an EDI syntax?

I don't think that one could use http to post an edi formatted transaction
and have the reciever be able to parse it with tools that are currently
available.

I do know that developers have more xml centric tools and just seem to
understand XML better.  There is an interesting article in InfoWorld that
talks about the development of xml centric repositories and the complexities
that exist when trying to maintain the hierarchical relationships of an XML
document when storing it into a relational database. I only bring this up to
illustrate the point that much more new development is being done with XML
in mind.  I've never heard of anyone building an EDI centric repository. Not
that it would be much different.

http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/04/02/010402hnxml.xml

Tim Cronin
Avicon
781-464-3050

--
Ken Steel                ICARIS Services
Email:                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com