I don't see why the "web protocols" such as HTTP and others couldn't be used
for that too.  FTP is usually what people think of first but many companies
don't run this service. The biggest problem would be the other factors
(scalability, security, level of service, access factors such as dialups,
etc.) when dealing with the internet. These aren't unsurmountable problems
and can be worked around just like any other method. Actually, I have far
fewer problems with my internet connections than I do with direct dialups on
my clients' TPs Bisync lines. <g>

What I had described when I mentioned using a web-based EDI solution can be,
in a way, even more of a tighter link between TP s than trad-EDI (I hate
that phrase!).  Instead of intermediate layers (translator/mapper) sitting
between the actual company database apps, one TP can use the published
application interface directly from another TP.  But that's more of a
developers' perspective and probably doesn't interest this higher-level
crowd.

- AHilton