PMFJI, but nope. Although that's the common usage of a website, that's
certainly not the only way it is done. A website (using an application
called a web server) is, simply put, a server application that processes
requests/posts on behalf of a client and returns results. The client
application can be a web browser (either being controlled/not controlled by
a human being) or any other type of application (ie Automated application to
application) that can 'talk' over the required ports and use the correct
syntax. All done with the menial web server. :)

I personally have several applications connecting to many different websites
(some with 'regular' HTML, others with server-side scripting engines like
Microsofts' ASP, and even others with XML/SOAP and other
not-easily-human-readable formats) that never get a direct human
intervention until after the contents and results of queries have been
dumped into my local databases. They just keep chugging along like my
trad-EDI apps.

- AHilton