The best solution will depend on your particular needs.

I have looked at:
Biztalk, Softshare, Tie/St Paul, Paperfree/NEON, Extol, IP Net, GEIS AI

and worked with:
Mercator, Gentran NT, and Gentran Unix

If you could list and prioritize your concerns, it will help you make the
best decision. Your client or manager will want to see some documentation of
the thought process before dropping $50-$500k into a product and project.

Example of decision making factors:
- How many trading partners
- Amount of customization for each partner
- Communication scenario
- Volume of transactions
- Security
- Level of integration required
- Archiving requirements
- Operation procedures

For example, at my last project I selected Mercator and Perl (for
communications) because my priorities were:
- MASSIVE transactions
- High Transactional volume
- Greatly Varying communications requirements
- Timely reconciliation of errors
- X12 and Non X12 documents
- Database loading
- Tight Integration

I replaced Gentran NT, which is good for lower volume EDI, but didn't serve
my particular needs well.

* Mercator is unique in the field in that it is more of system development
platform, whereas the others essentially come with a core system and you
plug in maps.  Mercator has a very high price tag and very high cost of
development for someone with expertise. The base level product Commerce
Manager - I didn't like the reporting or archiving.

* I would have suggested TIE, if the product were going to continue to be
supported.

* Neon/Paperfree is a very good system that has come a long way and appears
to have solid backing. This might be your best option. This, Like TIE is a
full boxed solution

* Gentran NT may even be a good option depending on your volume
requirements. I believe it is less expensive than the others mentioned and
is a full boxed solution.

* Extol is newer and at the time I looked was HQ'd in the UK. I didn't get
too deep into this product for that reason, but I see it being used more and
more. I don't know how comprehensive of a package it is.

Anthony Beecher