On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Abdul Rahman wrote:

> Please help me with my statistics.
>
> If you order a burger from McDonald's you have a choice of the
> following condiments:  ketchup, mustard , lettuce. pickles, and
> mayonnaise.  A customer can ask for all these condiments or any subset
> of them when he or she orders a burger.  How many different
> combinations of condiments can be ordered?  No condiment at all counts
> as one combination.
>
> Your help is badly needed.

Why?  All you have to do is construct all the possibilities and count
them.  Shouldn't be that hard.  If you want a method for dealing with
more general cases, that might be another matter, of course.  But even
that would yield to the same procedure, if you went about it in a
systematic enough fashion.

So how have you approached the problem so far?
 (I'm a New Englander, and we tend to disapprove of laziness.  If you
haven't even tried to solve it yourself [and problems like this are
almost certainly dealt with in your textbook!], I'm not interested in
providing any help at all.)
                                        -- DFB.
 Donald F. Burrill                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 348 Hyde Hall, Plymouth State College,          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 MSC #29, Plymouth, NH 03264                                 603-535-2597
 184 Nashua Road, Bedford, NH 03110                          603-472-3742