I think what Radford Neal is saying is that *some* dimpled ballots were
dimpled by a process other than an attempt to vote, and these will
divide 50-50. This should be easily determined by comparing the number
of dimples at null locations on the card with the number that are
interpretable as Bush or Gore votes.

        I think that what Virgil is saying is that *most* dimpled ballots were
dimpled by attempts to vote and these shoud divide proportionally to the
valid votes.

        These are not incompatible hypotheses. Moreover, both are probably
true.

        As the votes are being added to look for a majority, an admixture of
ballots of the first type will not affect the outcome; so if the two
types cannot be distinguished it makes sense (introduces no bias and
increases information content) to count them all.

        (Then, it seems from the weekend's newspaper stories, if the Governor's
brother loses the Florida legislature will annul the whole thing. Can
this really be?)

                -Robert Dawson