At 05:06 PM 11/2/01 -0500, Wuensch, Karl L wrote:
>         Dennis wrote:  " it is NOT correct to say that the p > value (as
>traditionally calculated) represents the probability of finding a > result
>LIKE WE FOUND  ... if the null were true? that p would be ½ of > what is
>calculated."
>
>         Jones and Tukey (A sensible formulation of the significance test,
>Psychological Methods, 2000, 5, 411-414)  recently suggested that the p
>which should be reported is "the area of the t distribution more positive or
>more negative (but not both) than the value of t obtained," just as Dennis
>suggests in his post.

i would not disagree with this ... but, we have to realize that software
(most i think) does NOT do it that way ...

if we did adopt the position of just reporting the p beyond the point you
got ... either to the right side or left side but not both ... then, what
will we use as the cut value ... .025??? or ... .05 as a 1 tail test? for
rejecting the null?

we certainly will have a problem continuing to say that we "set" alpha at
.05 ... in the usual two tailed sense

>  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Karl L. Wuensch, Department of Psychology,
>East Carolina University, Greenville NC  27858-4353
>Voice:  252-328-4102     Fax:  252-328-6283
>mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>http://core.ecu.edu/psyc/wuenschk/klw.htm
><http://core.ecu.edu/psyc/wuenschk/klw.htm>

>Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
>the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                   http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

dennis roberts, penn state university
educational psychology, 8148632401
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm