My opinion, FWIW:

The answer to your question in a strict fashion, assuming the experiment is
well designed, depends to a large extent on your "a priori" null hypothesis
and how you performed the statistical test.

In this case, presuming that you used a two-sided p value and that you
established 0.05 as your p value threshold for accepting/rejecting the null
hypothesis, then the p value of 0.009 indicates that the null hypothesis was
rejected.

Using a two sided p value your a priori null hypothesis would be that there
is no difference between the means in "either direction".  Thus this p
value, stricly speaking, cannot tell you anything about the direction of the
difference.

If you established an a priori null hypothesis that was direction specific,
then you would have to use a one-sided p value to accept or reject that
directional null hypothesis.  The problem with this approach is that the
difference may be contextually significant in the direction opposite the one
that your hypothesis is based upon and you may find yourself in a position
of strictly having to accept the null hypothesis, since the one-sided p
value may be >0.05 in that case.

It is for the latter issue, that many folks will not use a one-sided p value
in such situations, unless of course a difference in the opposite direction
of the null hypothesis is of no consequence.  For example, unless a new
treatment is better than the current gold standard, you don't care.  On the
other hand, you may (or should) care if the new treatment is worse than the
current gold standard.

The danger, in a strict experimental fashion, is to perform the analysis on
the data, determine the direction of the difference and then apply the
appropriate one-sided test to the data.  I have seen this done by others.
This is a violation of the basic experimental process, since you already
have performed the analysis and have defined a result-based null hypothesis.
In my mind, bad form.  The null hypothesis should be defined before you know
anything about the data.

--
Marc Schwartz
To Reply Remove "NOSPAM" in E-Mail Address