In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Dennis Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>let's say that you do a simple (well executed) 2 group study ...
>treatment/control ... and, are interested in the mean difference ... and
>find that a simple t test shows a p value (with mean in favor of treatment)
>of .009

>while it generally seems to be held that such a p value would suggest that
>our null model is not likely to be correct (ie, some other alternative
>model might make more sense), does it say ANYthing more than that?

>specifically, does the p value in and of itself impute ANY information
>about the non null possibilities being in the direction favoring the
>treatment group?

>or, just that the null model is not very plausible

>bottom line: is there any value added information imparted from the p value
>other than a statement about the null?

Does it even state that?  The posterior odds ratio for a
symmetric prior on the mean of a normal random variable
over that of the null is less than 4 for a p value of .05.
--
This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558