From: Simon, Steve, PhD [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2001 3:27 PM
To: 'Edward Dreyer'; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Mean and Standard Deviation

Edward Dreyer writes:

>A colleague of mine - not a subscriber to this helpful
>list - asked me if it is possible for the standard deviation
>to be larger than the mean.  If so, under what conditions?
>
>At first blush I do not think so  --------- but then I believe
>I have seen some research results in which standard
>deviation was larger than the mean.

Well, if the mean is negative, then it is indeed very possible for the standard deviation to be larger. I suspect that you were considering the special case where the variable is non-negative. Then it is still possible for the standard deviation to be larger than the mean. In this special case, it serves as evidence of a highly right skewed distribution.

Steve Simon, [EMAIL PROTECTED], Standard Disclaimer.
http://www.childrens-mercy.org/stats