1. well, one can consider proportionate ... equal change VALUES ... and i
think that is one legitimate way to view it ... which is how the video guy
was talking about it ...

2. one could consider proportionate ... equal change from the BASE ... and
i think that is legitimate too ... this is clearly NOT how the video guy
was referring to it to

sure, if one group goes from 60 to 90 ... this is a change of 30 % points ...
and, if another group goes from 30 to 60 ... this is a change of 30% points
i think it is fair to say that the amount of change % points is the same
... thus proportional

now, another way we can view the data is to say that in the first group ...
since the base is 60 ... the change of 30 is a 50% change in % points ...
compared to the base ... whereas in the second group ... the change from 30
to 60 represents a 100% change from the base ...

now, if the base N is the same ... say 600 people ... 30% of 600 = 180
people ... no matter if a group change from 60 to 90 OR 30 to 60 ... thus,
if the BASE n is the same ... then both value of % change AND volume of n
... mean the same thing

if one group's n = 600 and another group's n = 100 ... these are not the same

but in any case ... and the way we usually look at these poll %ages ... is
in terms of the absolute value of the % values ... so, in THAT context and
the way the public usually views these things ... scenario #1 above is how
the video person presented the data ... and in that context i think his
presentation did NOT try nor did "snow" the video viewers

i don't think there is any natural law that says that proportionate or
disproportionate has to be interpreted in terms of scenario #2 above ...

finally ... i think we are making a mountain out of a molehill in this ...
to me ... the most important "fact" from the video was that (regardless of
change and how you define it) ... whites approved of the president to a FAR
greater extent than blacks ... and, the second most important "fact" was
that AFTER the event ... the approval ratings for BOTH groups went un
dramatically

if the video guy had made the distinctions in scenarios 1 and 2 above ...
and had then interpreted the data under both cases ... i think this would
have helped NONE in conveying to the public the information that i (IMHO)
think was most important ...

we seem to be trying to find something that the fellow was hiding FROM the
public when, i don't really think he was trying (nor gallup) to hide
anything ... he was presenting some data results ... giving one
interpretation of the results ... and, if WE want to interpret them
differently ... we can

is that not true for any set of results?

At 10:58 AM 1/11/02 -0500, you wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Dennis Roberts wrote:
>
> > if the polls used similar ns in the samples ... i disagree
> >
> > now, if the white sample was say 600 and the black sample was 100 ... i
> > MIGHT be more likely to agree with the comment below
>
>consider white goes 10% to 15%     up 50%, 5%pts
>          black goes 66.7% to 100%  up 50%, 33.3%pts
>
>These are proportionate but hardly equivalent
>    white goes 0 to 50%     up infinite %, 50%pts
>    black goes 50% to 100%  up 100%        50pts
>same %pts but black is more striking
>I can't see any kind of equivalence in either case

dennis roberts, educational psychology, penn state university
208 cedar, AC 8148632401, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm