On 9/14/06, John Zelle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> introduction to algebra class. Or perhaps a better example, does a Calculus
> class have to also pay homage to linear algebra? Does a formal logic class
> need to be about calculus? Why isn't programming itself a legitimate entree
> into the "world of mathematics?"

I just wanted to break in here and say from my perspective it's about
killing as many birds with one stone as possible -- except I hate that
metaphor, because who wants to kill any birds?  Not me (OK, I eat
chicken).  But you get my point, it's about bandwidth.

As educators, we should be in a collaborative mindset.  If math
teachers are in overdrive to drill junior on the existence of
"functions" in some quasi-irrelevant twilight zone called "algebra"
then the *least* a Python intro course might do is *reinforce* this
archaic notion, and be articulate about functions in the Python
namespace (where they're "top level" fer gosh sakes -- not bit
players).

Connecting to our earlier thread:  that "mouth" where we put default
values, accept optional arguments, keywords, is where the attention
should be, as it's complicated, if freeing.  raw_input takes the focus
from parameter passing, and makes I/O a side-effect of function
execution -- or maybe the raw_input was

What I think Arthur and I have in common is a willingness to have math
and CS augment each other as mutually reinforcing.

I think you're likewise willing.

But we all have divergent opinions about what's the most effective way
to catalyze the synergies.  And that's OK.  I just get frustrated when
we're unable to articulate the various philosophies.  At least
*clarity* we should have, given the disciplines in focus (known for
they're ability to bring light to dark places).

Kirby