Syllabi (syllabuses?) and curriculums(?) are text documents specifying what needs to be taught. In my experience, students are not interested in the syllabus, or the curriculum. They are interested in the hoops they must jump through in order to achieve. The teachers set up the hoops, based on their knowledge of the syllabus/curriculum.

Moodle is part of the Edubuntu base install and is an excellent way of allowing teachers/administrators to add the hoops that meet the curriculum objectives.
Edubuntu is  an operating system (and the best)
Moodle, Geeklog, Drupal, and more are the way to use Edubuntu in education. Edubuntu is not the only way to access these programs, but it is the most efficient (unless you are trying to access networking whilst using a Mac)

cheers

johnr