Susan Addington wrote:

I wasn't thinking so much of my [college] students as the aforementioned kids from Vanuatu and Kenya, as well as people I know in Alaska (Yup'ik Eskimos), and miscellaneous ethnicities in California and El Paso, Texas. I'm thinking of a recipe exchange, for (a) the promotion of measurement and multiplicative thinking and (b) finding out about what other people eat. I could definitely get a recipe for akutak ("Eskimo ice cream", made of lard, sugar, and berries).

I'll trade you your ice cream for a serving of laplap, grated manioc mashed with coconut milk. 8^)

Seriously, I'd be happy to promote a recipe exchange between youth here and elsewhere in the world. (I have a particular sympathy for Northern parts, as I spent 3 years living on Baffin Island.)

I suspect that a wiki would be the most appropriate format for this kind of exchange. Wikis are fairly easy to set up and administer, especially since the bulk of the work is done by the community itself. While some people have voiced concerns about the fact that anyone can change them, I consider this a strength, especially with students. In my experience, when you place a precious object in someone else's hand, they almost always treat it with great care. Wikis are a really useful and valuable resource, and are seldom abused. Even when they are defaced or vandalised, fixing them is trivial.

Just my two vatu....

--
Dan McGarry             [EMAIL PROTECTED]

IT Consultant
Community Communications Project