Simón A. Ruiz wrote:
Tom Hoffman wrote:

I think that a wiki (or a blog) is a great idea.  This Indiana
initiative is by far the biggest free software deployment in US
schools, and at the same time, seemingly a state secret.  Very little
news about this project has gotten out to the rest of the open source
community in the US, which is bad for Indiana and for the rest of the
community.

I agree, and I think that's because this isn't being done by the open source community, this is being done by a governmental institution. Linux is being dropped in the laps of people who don't have experience with it, and I can imagine most schools don't have someone like me who can step up and take responsibility.

You're not the only one(s) in this situation.

Some folks in Southern Illinois have been working with Linux servers for a fair number of years now. I know it's not exactly walking distance, but it might be useful to check out what they're up to.

I first met Abe Loveless and the gang when they decided to deploy the SME Server (http://www.contribs.org/). I worked for the company that developed the system and went down there to do a demo and answer some questions. They were rolling it out in response to a federal requirement that they install content filtering or face losing their funds. They decided on squidGuard on SME Server because it was the only way they could work cost-effectively and efficiently.

Anyway, check out what they're up to:

<http://www.tech-geeks.org/geeklog/>

--
Dan McGarry     [EMAIL PROTECTED]