At 04:20 PM 8/11/2004, Stuart Rohre wrote:
Yes,
I think we can do simple kits with 1206 parts with home hand tools and
possibly a hold down fixture home made.   In fact, that would be a great
"kit", a set of SMT sized tools:  Needle Nose pliers, light spring tweezer,
hold down device that would sit on desk and exert weight on a 1206 component
as you soldered it, Maybe a Spudgeon tool, or dental wide tip blade to apply
flux to hold 1206 as a "glue" until soldered, a roll of 0.01 low melting
point solder, and list of suggested fine tip irons, and desk magnifiers that
a ham could locally procure.

Snip
That's a great idea Stuart. For me, the hold down fixture wood be crucial and a good design welcome. The mention of hold down fluxes left me with an uneasy feeling in that most fluxes are a bit active and I would be concerned about the state of the flux after soldering. I have visions of an active flux residue progressing as a corrosive agent over time unless it could be completely cleaned out after soldering. A glue type holding agent might carbonize with the soldering heat. Has industry settled
on a flux that addresses these issues?
73
Pete NV4V