Actually, I find surface mount components much easier to replace in most
cases than through hole parts. Especially when you are prototyping and you
have to change components often. No holes to clean out, no plate throughs to
damage, no leads to clip. Once you get used to the size of the parts and a
little different technique in building, it's easy.

As to the comment about it being for machine assembly only, we hand build
all prototype pcb's at work. Very high density stuff too. Not that big a
deal once you have done it a few times. The K1 could probably be the size of
the KX1 if all SMD's were used...

73's Trev - K6ESE
http://www.qsl.net/k6ese
dit dididit dit  dit dit