If you are trying the "solder blob" method and  finding that it takes an
inordinate amount of time to work, try two things:

First, be sure you are heating some copper and not just enamel. At the very
least, make sure the cut end of the wire is in the blob so the end of the
copper is being heated. Better, scrape the wire slightly first to expose
some copper along the length you want to clean. One swipe on the "sharp"
edge of a blade screwdriver or a DULL knife is good to pop some enamel loose
along one thin line down the "side" of the wire.

Secondly, be sure you are using enough heat. I have a 275 watt (yes 275
watt!) soldering gun that I often use to burn off the enamel. At full heat,
it'll burn right through the enamel in short order <G>. When using my
soldering station, I crank up the heat to 800 F for removing enamel. (That's
one of the features I like about the Hakko soldering stations - a knob to
adjust the temperature with!)

Ron AC7AC