Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 11:09 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Tuning CW Stations in 160 meter contest

Lee,

If you are using the default 1.5 kHz CW bandwidth for FL1 and listening with a more narrow filter, the answer is 'quite likely'. Remember that the FL1 BFO is always used for transmit. This results in a filter alignment situation that is seldom mentioned - that of transmit frequency offset.

This problem happens readily if you center the bandpass during filter/BFO alignment and are using a filter wider than twice your sidetone pitch. If you think about it, you should quickly determine that to actually center a 1.5 kHz bandpass on a 600 Hz point, the bandpass will be from 1350 Hz down to -150 Hz -- yes, I said that right, the passband will cross over into the opposite sideband! The more likely thing is that you did not set it up that way, so the BFO for FL1 is shifted about 500 to 1 kHz from the remaining BFOs. That is the reasoning behind my recommendations that CW FL1 be set no wider than 2 times the sidetone pitch. The 700 Hz width is my preferred normal CW receiving filter width, and I personally set my FL1 to 1.0 or 1.1 kHz to avoid having to shift the FL1 BFO far away from the other BFOs.

I do wish that the K2 in CW (and RTTY modes) always used the same BFO for transmit as that used for receive, but such is not the case - FL1 is always used for transmit in any mode (it is necessary in SSB mode). If the FL1 BFO is not close to the same frequency as the BFO currently being used for receive, your resulting transmit offset will be quite different than your sidetone pitch. (Note: IMHO, a few tens of Hertz will make no noticable difference, but hundreds of Hertz difference in the BFOs will be objectionable.)

Wayne - would it be possible to change the firmware to use the same BFO for transmitting and receiving for all modes except SSB? Or is my analysis incorrect here?

73,
Don W3FPR