Brian,

Since the K2 preserves pitch, you CAN freely change the sidetone pitch as long as both the old and new pitch both fit inside the audio range of the filter. The signal being received will not be centered in the passband, but positioned off to the side of center, but that makes no difference if it still fits inside the passband (and ideally somewhere within the relatively flat portion of the passband).

If you want to initially set up the filter (particularly the narrowest) to operate with a variable sidetone, I suggest that you first decide what the lowest and highest sidetone pitches will be for you. Then use Spectogram and set 2 markers, one at the lowest sidetone and the other at the highest. Then change the BFO to place the center of your narrow filters between these markers. If the flattop portion of the narrowest filter does not fully cover these frequency extremes, you may widen the filter or simply accept the fact that you will see some attenuation when using this filter (the tone you want will be demodulated on the filter slope).

Watch the wider filters too - do not center them - be certain the low frequency slope of the filter appears to the left (lower frequency) of your lower sidetone pitch marker and be certain that the filter stopband occurs before you get to zero frequency (if it does not, you will have signal detection on the opposite side of zero beat and loose the single signal tuning capability.

Extra note - anybody now want to resurrect discrete passband tuning? I think many of us have gotten hung up on 'setting the BFOs for no frequency shift between filters', but that is NOT why the shift occurs, any shift is due to firmware digitizing error. You can set the BFOs almost anywhere and there will be little shift between filters. What I have discovered (after all this time) that the BFOs shift the passband, but does not change the pitch - the firmware changes the pitch. So now I am contemplating using the CWr filters as a set of discrete passband tuning filters using a fixed filter width of 400 or 500 Hz and changing the BFOs so the audio range of each filter is positioned offset a bit from each other (to cut either the low frequency end or the high frequency end). Also, I seldom use the reverse sideband for CW, and there is no reason that the BFOs have to be set for sideband reversal - I will use the side where the pitch increases with increasing frequency - that way my brain knows which way I am tuning without looking at the frequency readout. This K2 provides more flexibility than I thought before!!!

73,
Don W3FPR