Howard wrote:

>... I can only imagine what it must have been like copying
>code on the China Clippers with early radios...

The long-route airline aircraft of the era often had a radio operator on
board.  He had to be licensed the same as a merchant marine radio officer,
with at least a Second Class Radiotelegraph License (20 wpm plain language,
16 wpm code groups), PLUS he had to have the Aircraft Radiotelegraph
Endorsement (25 wpm plain language, 20 wpm code groups) on his license.

One of the continuing controversies about the last Amelia Earhart flight
revolves around whether she, or Fred Noonan, had adequate knowledge about
the radio gear they chose and carried.  There have been some reports that
Noonan held a commercial radiotelegraph license.

The FCC was still carrying the Aircraft Radiotelegraph Endorsement in their
system of commercial operator licenses and exams as late as about 25 years
ago when I first got my second class telegraph license, though I'd guess the
last commercial airline radiotelegraph operator positions had disappeared
decades earlier.

Up to the early 1960s, many airlines had their own staff of land-based HF
radiotelegraph operators used to communicate scheduling and other info
between operation centers for the airline.  Though the individual operators
may have had decades of experience and could often copy above 50 wpm, few
ever advanced to the first class radiotelegraph operator license because the
traffic that their station handled was not "public correspondence" as was
required in the experience qualifications for the first class ticket.

I never heard any machine-sent news/sports broadcasts on the maritime CW
bands being sent at speeds higher than about 35 wpm.  More critical
safety-related broadcasts (weather, notice to mariners, etc.) were generally
sent at about 25 wpm.

The long-range military aircraft crews of WWII appear to have rarely
conducted their Morse communications above about 12 wpm.  In fact, many of
the WWII-era aircraft radio sets could not be keyed any faster due to keying
relay operation times.  Many on this list will remember the WWII surplus
"command sets" (ATA/ARA, SCR-274-N, AN/ARC-5) that got many hams on the air
in the 20 years following WWII.   In their original military installations,
they could not be keyed faster than about 14 wpm.

If you like Morse, it's hard not to like the old sets that were used when HF
radio Morse was in it's commercial heyday.  But for power-, weight-, and
performance-critical portable operation today, I'll take a solid-state
microprocessor-controlled rig anytime.

73,
Mike / KK5F
(Military Boatanchor Addict)