> I don't have the temperament to sit down at a bench and build an
> electronic device....
>
> In addition, I like the idea of supporting the traditions of ham radio
> by patronizing kit makers and kit builders, rather than appliance
> manufacturers.

Let me offer the advice you didn't ask for, since that's what I'm good at.
:-) And pardon me for posting to the list instead of sending it to you
personally. I think it's a worthwhile topic for other lurkers.

I think you should give some passing consideration to building this
yourself. You can always give up and turn it over to a pro, but you might
find you enjoy it.

I built a K1 and like you had to purchase every single tool I used to build
it. I've done some soldering before, but it was 30 years ago as a kid
building a Heathkit HW-16 with my dad. That was a single-layer board with a
lot of point-to-point wiring -- very different from the K1.

I am a co-owner of my own business and work at home. I don't readily
differentiate between work-time and free-time. It's hard for me to set aside
personal time when I know there's work to be done. But building the K1 was
exciting and enjoyable enough that I was able to focus on it. It was a good
break from the 24/7 pressures of meeting payroll. The point is that, like
you, my temperment isn't too suited to sitting in a chair looking through a
magnifier at tiny electronic parts when there are other things that need to
be done.

I spent about 30 hours building my K1 with the 4-band board and ATU. Before
I started I couldn't understand why there'd be people on this list who would
offer to build your kit for free. After building the K1 I can begin to
understand it. It was very enjoyable to carefully put the kit together, and
very rewarding to plug it in and find that it worked.

IMHO the Glory Years of ham radio are behind us. The days when you built
your first rig from scratch, passed the test because you already knew the
material because of your love of the hobby (instead of cramming over the
weekend to learn just enough to pass), and climbed trees to hang your
homemade dipole seem to be gone or at least disappearing. I think building
an Elecraft kit is a great way for a new ham in 2005 to experience more of
the hobby than most will ever take the time to do.

Whatever you decide to do, I think you'll love the K2.

Craig
NZ0R
K1 #1966