I dare to argue with the below statement. I see several advantages in using
laptop in the hamshack.
They require less space
They are usually less noisy both electrically and acoustically
They do not need separate UPS
And they are not that expensive after all. 1.6 GHz Atom processor netbook
can be had for around 300 USD here and more then enough for everything
needed in the hamshack (unless you need it for Skimmer or SDR)
That does not mean that I support switching from RS232 to USB. I have Expert
1K-FA that is wired to listen on RS232 of my K3. Therefore I prefer we stay
with RS232 for the time being.

73, Igor UA9CDC