I kind of do both. I have a laptop on a shelf above the radios.  I use the
screen as a secondary monitor, although it's literally a pain in the neck to do
so.

Then I have a wireless keyboard/mouse on the desk along with a another monitor.
 So in essence I have a similar setup, except mine keeps running for a few
hours if the power fails. The K3 is on a 100 AH AGM battery so it keeps on
ticking too.

If I want to operate portable, the laptop is ready to go with all of the
software needed and an up-to-date log.

Wes Stewart  N7WS