Stan,

The AF1 has a sharp audio filter, and there is no "mute" signal into it,
so any tone at the AF1 center frequency should get through.

BUT - the AF1 center frequency must be at the same pitch as your
sidetone for that tone to get through the AF1 filter.

I suspect that the menu setting for STP on your K2 and KX1 is not the
same as the center frequency you have set on the AF1.

73,
Don W3FPR