Stan, it sounds like you do not have the AF1 tuned to the same frequency as
the K2 sidetone. It is simply a filter, so if it is set up for the same
frequency as your sidetone, it will not affect the sidetone in any way. You
will hear it normally during transmit.

That also might be the reason why it doesn't seem all that effective. You
need to adjust the tuning to find the "peak" right on your sidetone
frequency and leave it there unless you are listening to a signal slightly
off of your frequency. Even then, it's best to use RIT (or SPLIT) to tune
the rig to the proper frequency so the signal is correctly positioned in the
I.F. passband.

Once you have the AF1 tuned to the sidetone frequency (and a signal properly
tuned in), you can increase the gain to "enhance" the signal or make it 'pop
out' of the background just like APF on the K3. Suggest you use BP2 position
on the bandpass switch for optimum effect.

The Low Pass filter adjustment on the AF1 will normally be full clockwise
(no high frequency cutoff). If you have some background hiss, you can try
reducing the cutoff frequency (turn the control CCW) but be sure you don't
move the cutoff frequency below your peak audio frequency set by the BP
tuning or the LP filter will be "fighting" the bandpass filter :-)

Ron AC7AC