Bob,

There are going to be some ham applications that will not work with Win7
at all (either 32 bit or 64 bit).

If you have an XP computer available, maybe now is the time to make it
the dedicated hamshack computer which will free you to use the Win7
computer for non-ham related work.
I for one will not likely upgrade to Win7 anytime in the near future.
Not only am I happy with WinXP, but I have 6 computers on the home
network, and upgrading them would be quite expensive.  I am considering
an "upgrade" to Ubuntu if I can get Samba to talk both ways between my
Windows network and the SMB shares, but my ham station computer will
continue to run Win XP because of the number of ham applications that
run on it.  If you want to try out Ubuntu, release 10 is now available,
and there is a "Win Ubuntu" version that you can load as a dual boot
with the Windows OS.

73,
Don W3FPR