<snip> "...so far I have found no ham related programs that will not run
under Win 7...."
--------------------
Yep, I have two Win 7 machines and have generally had excellent results.
There still are some pieces of hardware (e.g. M-Audio studio sound
interfaces) for which the Win 7 drivers either don't exist or exist but
don't work. And I do know of one piece of Ham-related software that won't
run under Win 7, viz. the Dimension 4 time interface. This is used by
weak-signal guys (WSPR, JT65, etc.) to sync the PC to the Bureau of
Standards time. Win 7 has a built-in gadget to do it, and apparently won't
give other programs access to set the clock. With adequate hacking, Vista
can be forced to allow D4 to run, but it was really written for XP and
hasn't been updated.

With certain computers, it is not as easy as it sounds to keep your clock
accurate to within a fraction of a second, because the on-board clock may
drift quite a bit and have to be reset constantly; and unfortunately, Win 7
does not have a setting (at least not one I can find) that allows the user
to increase the frequency of syncing the clock to a standard.

Anyway, other than the above-mentioned glitches, Win 7 runs fine and is IMHO
more likable than XP.

Tony KT0NY