Don et al,

You can run anything that runs on XP on Win 7 by installing an XP virtual
machine on the computer.  It's a free download from Microsoft's web site and you
can have your choice of the 64 bit or 32bit version.  You don't have to dual
boot, and it won't run unless you start it up from the Win 7 menu, or you can
set it up so that it runs when win 7 boots up.

No need to mess with all that other add-on stuff or have two computers in the
shack.

73,

Tom Childers
Radio Amateur N5GE
Licensed since 1976
QCWA Life Member 35102
ARRL Life Member
Retired Professional
C# Software developer
http://www.n5ge.net

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 18:05:16 -0500, Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com>  wrote:

>  Bob,
>
>There are going to be some ham applications that will not work with Win7
>at all (either 32 bit or 64 bit).
>
>If you have an XP computer available, maybe now is the time to make it
>the dedicated hamshack computer which will free you to use the Win7
>computer for non-ham related work.
>I for one will not likely upgrade to Win7 anytime in the near future.
>Not only am I happy with WinXP, but I have 6 computers on the home
>network, and upgrading them would be quite expensive.  I am considering
>an "upgrade" to Ubuntu if I can get Samba to talk both ways between my
>Windows network and the SMB shares, but my ham station computer will
>continue to run Win XP because of the number of ham applications that
>run on it.  If you want to try out Ubuntu, release 10 is now available,
>and there is a "Win Ubuntu" version that you can load as a dual boot
>with the Windows OS.
>
>73,
>Don W3FPR

[snip]