>> Usb : I'm not suggesting to integrate a conventional 232/Usb
>> converter inside k3 (even if it would be possible to do by cabling
>> all the firmware necessary to have everything onboard without OS
>> driver need) but re-engineer the internal I/O in order to make
>> available a standardUsb port.

Every device with a USB port includes some kind of USB to serial
converter.  It may be integrated into a larger chip but there is
always dedicated hardware to perform the serial to USB (data
packetization and protocol management) function.  Even those other
transceivers (TS-590, Eagle, IC-9100, 7600, 7200, 7410, etc.) with
onboard USB use a traditional USB to serial converter.

>> For what I know, Usb is totally non related to any COM port. If you
>> plug into your pc an external Usb device (webcam,hard disk,audio
>> card etc) can you see any relation to a COM port ? I think you
>> can't see.

USB devices like those use cite use "device classes" built into the
operating system.  If you do the research you will find that a
camera operates as a "data storage device" (like a USB hard disk),
an audio card operates as a "USB audio class device," a webcam
operates as a "Human Interface Device."  There is no "class" defined
for "amateur radio transceivers."

In order to support an amateur transceiver in native mode, each
transceiver manufacturer would need to write *CUSTOM* HDI drivers
for *EVERY OPERATING SYSTEM* and would be forced to absorb the
cost of testing/verification of those drivers for every incremental
update of every operating system.  In addition, logging and control
software writers would then need to write custom applications for
every transceiver (no more "common serial interface").

It may be economically feasible for the manufacturer of a computer
mouse or keyboard to write/maintain HID drivers for their product
when the cost is spread over several million units a year but it
does not make sense for Elecraft when they sell fewer than 5000
K3s in a year.

>> Signalink : I spoke of that because I have it, but it's a much more
>> general matter, anyway Signalink it's not only an additional Vox,
>> it's a complete (and optimized for our HAM purposes) sound card
>> that interfaces with pc via Usb.

No, Signalink is nothing more than a $19 USB audio chip packaged with
manual input/output level controls and a "VOX."  It takes about two
minutes to study the circuit board and check the part numbers to know
for sure what it happening with that device.

The same functions can be integrated into a transceiver with any
of the commodity USB Audio chips just as Icom and Kenwood have done
with their newest transceivers.  However, there is no "value added"
in doing so as it makes the transceiver dependent on the operating
system for software support.  Any change or bug in the operating
system can leave that portion of the transceiver non-functional.

>> Last, as Signalink provide a total galvanic separation and in
>> addition itconverts AF levels into digital data and releases
 >> them to pc via Usb...this let you much more free from any
 >> possible RF interference.

As K9YC is very fond of pointing out, RF interference is not a matter
of "galvanic isolation."  It is a matter to properly bonding devices
together and to a proper RF ground as well as preventing common mode
RF and noise from propagating to the device.  When properly designed
and installed, transceivers and computers will not have an RF problem.
It is the sloppy practices of computer designers and amateurs in their
antenna and power system installations that are generally at fault for
99% or more of all "RF interference" problems.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV