> If the receptacles are wired using the "backstab" holes rather then
> having the wires secured under the screws, that is a possible cause...

Good point, Don.  For me, it's hard to believe that using "back-stab"
receptacle connections is still NEC/UL compliant.  At least in recent years,
use is limited to only #14 AWG, meaning (thankfully), they cannot be used on
a feeder or branch circuit above 15A.  If I had a home using those, I would
take the time to rewire every receptacle and use the screw terminals
instead.

For just a bit more cost over the 50-cent contractor-grade receptacles,
industrial-grade receptacles can be purchased.  These receptacles may look
like they have back-stab pin holes but in fact use a clamp together with the
side terminal screw to solidly hold the conductor in place.  Better wire
grip, safer than back-stabs, and install quickly without the need for a
J-hook around the screw terminal.

Paul, W9AC