"If the receptacles are wired using the "backstab" holes rather then having
the wires secured under the screws, that is a possible cause..."

Everything in the house was originally wired using the "backstab" holes in
the switches and sockets.  I've been gradually replacing them over the
years.  My ham shack is diagonally opposite the breaker-box, with (I
estimate) 80-feet of #14 wire running through I don't know how many outlets
and switches to get there.   The ALS-600 switcher draws right at about
15-amps at 120VAC (the ALS-600 unregulated linear supply draws about 13 amps
at 120VAC).  As the AC voltage drops, the AC current increases (the switcher
keeps the FET drain voltage constant).  So key down I was drawing in excess
of 15 amps.  That's why I put in a 240VAC line.

But I've been doing all my KPA500 testing on the 120VAC line and it works
great - the KPA500 only draws 9-amps at 120VAC (low enough for my 27 year
old house wiring).  I'll eventually put it on the 240VAC line though.

Phil - AD5X