As does much of Europe (just next door to you :-)

Us OT's remember when almost all automobiles (including my British MGA) had
6-volt batteries. As more electronics were added to cars it eventually
forced a shift to 12 VDC to avoid requiring huge cables attached to gigantic
terminals to avoid excessive resistive losses. (A lot of us working in
aerospace wondered why they didn't just jump to the 24VDC system already in
use then by the military and aircraft.)

Someday Americans will make the shift to 240VAC throughout our homes.
Virtually every home built in he uSA since the 1970's has 240V circuits
supplying major appliances: ovens, cook top, clothes dryer, air
conditioners, etc., and in many areas such as where I live supplied by wind
and hydroelectric power, electric central heating furnaces.

Nowadays we all have a myriad of multi-voltage devices in our homes. This HP
computer workstation is 120/240V as is my cell phone and other chargers,
various power supplies, my laptop computers, etc. Just about the only thing
that requires 120 VAC in our house are lights and a 20+ year old TV set.

Our common wall switches and outlets are already rated for 240V although a
different style outlet/plug style is commonly used to avoid confusion.

It can't be too long before we see the last few electrical devices - lights,
etc. - switch to 240V.

Ron AC7AC