The low voltage is probably your problem.  I would think 3 volts is
too low for the microphone element.
I know 3 volts is too low for proper operation of the microprocessor,
and since you have not said anything about other strange symptoms, I
would first check your voltmeter.  Do you read 5 volts or 3 volts at the
output terminal of RF Board U8 - it should be 5 volts.  If you read 3
volts at RF U8, try an different voltmeter.

Is the regulator getting quite warm?  If so, you may have a fault on the
5 volt line somewhere.  If it is not heating up, the most likely reason
is a bad regulator.

73,
Don W3FPR