*Edward,*
*
*Now that the contest is over the bands should return to normalcy and by
this I mean clean clear signals will again be heard.*
*
*
*I wonder how many contesters were using SDR radios?....*
*
*
*Listening to absolutely horrible audio and distorted CQ calls then a voice
change when you work the station and find that the PTT audio is almost as
bad. In some cases all but impossible to understand what the operator was
saying.*
*
*
*Yes the points are all that are important but when did that have to be the
overriding factor above a clean signal?*
*
*
*Certainly some stations were using software such as N1MM and wave files for
their CQ Contest calls but surely they could take the time to ensure that
their audio cables were not affected by RF, mic gain/ comp settings were
correct for clear audio and the list goes on I am sure.*
*
*
*One station here in VK was so bad I heard him call for 5 minutes without a
response and when I suggested he had an issue he simply  ignored my comment
and started to CQ again.*
*
*
*The stations in the contest in VK that I know use the K3 were all sounding
great.*
*
*
*Maybe SDR means true 'software controlled' with a box minus the knobs and
buttons, but I think it would be a handful in a contest and I am not sure I
want to place that much faith in a radio dependant entirely on Microsoft
etc. A full Linux/Apple OS may be more reliable?*
*
*
*The K3 to my mind IS SDR with a fully operational radio for those of us who
dislike the mouse and function key style of operating becoming more popular
and you have the option to add programs such as LP-PAN etc.*
*
*
*The simple connections to a PC from the K3 are ideal for the way I operate
but these days I have settled on N1MM logging and the K3 for everything
else.*
*
*
*I wonder if I am headed for the minority benches?..Grin*
*
*
*I hope all those who played in the contest had a great time, after all, it
is just a hobby and a darn fine one at that and enjoyment should be what
it's all about, whatever flips your switch!*
*
*
*73's*
*
*
*Gary
*
On 28 March 2011 04:39, Edward R. Cole <kl...@acsalaska.net> wrote:

> I'll address this one more time and then let it rest.
>
> SDR = Software Defined Radio.  (i.e. the software defines it).  The
> software is "in fact" the radio.
>
> It has been a long tradition of ham radio to being able to "build
> it", yourself.  For SDR that includes the software.  If a commercial
> SDR is not open-source it loses part of what being a SDR is all about for
> hams.
>
> That being said, not many hams "build-it" anymore so, thankfully,
> Elecraft has given considerable attention to the sw (firmware).  That
> is lacking in a lot of other SDR ventures.  It also seems ham radio
> is split into: "programing capable hams" and the rest of us.
>
> And one more footnote on my project.  I would have had to go with an
> outside SDR to obtain wide-bandwidth, in any case.  the 15-KHz second
> IF restricts what can be done with wide bw modes or displays.  Even
> Elecraft recognizes this with using the 1st IF for the P3.
>
> I think that should finish this topic, OK?
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 12
> Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 07:11:51 -0400
> From: Ed K1EP <k1ep.l...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Forums?
> To: "Edward R. Cole" <kl...@acsalaska.net>,Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
>
> At 3/27/2011 04:22 AM, Edward R. Cole wrote:
>  >Geoffrey,
>  >
>  >I am in the process of setting up my K3 with two LP-Pan feeding a
>  >M-Audio Delta-44 dual-channel soundcard.  The reason for the LP-Pan
>  >is to provide I-Q signals to a computer so that custom SDR sw may be
>  >used (or developed).  The K3 has an internal MCU with Elecraft's
>  >proprietary sw, but that is not open for sw developers to
>  >access.  Therefore, the standard K3 falls short of its promise as a
>  >SDR.
>
> I don't see anywhere in the definition of SDR that the software has
> to open source.  If you wish to develop your own SDR software, the
> LP-PAN is a perfect add on to allow you access to the IQ outputs for
> developing your own software or modifying existing open source software.
>

> 73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

*VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018