The URL posted by Mr. Thornton is part of an excellent mid-level
tutorial series, quite worth reading.

I wanted to mention, in this mix, another SDR which seems to be somewhat
unknown in this country; /vide/ http://www.rfsystem.it/shop/... This
receiver "PMSDR" has T/R switching, covers up into the VHF region, and
is physically very small and available in kit form. I had one of the
early models, and was quite pleased with its quality. In its newest
form, it can serve as a stand-alone unit or as a panadapter with, for
example, the K3. I believe there is a US/Canadian dealer.

QST's articles do not demonstrate any particular expertise or breadth of
knowledge in this field.

John Ragle -- W1ZI

=====