Jim,

You printed the manual locally, and if you count the ink and paper, that
cost you more than ordering an extra manual from Elecraft - and unless
you went to the trouble of printing it double-sided (and no sheets stuck
together in the process), you had twice as many sheets of paper.  I
think that is false economy (if the intent is economy).

That said, I really like the .pdf files of the manual - mainly because
they can be called up without searching through a stack of paper manuals
(yes, I have a file for each Elecraft product manual).  They are great
when you are doing a search - that is easy to accomplish and works quite
nicely.  I have those files on a networked file server so I can access
them from any computer in the house - the workbench is not in the same
place as the hamshack, and I answer email from yet another computer, so
that give me access to those reference files at any location I choose.

However, when doing assembly or troubleshooting, I find no substitute
for a printed manual and printed schematics.  I cannot do that
effectively on a computer screen.  The printed manual is essential for
me at the workbench.  I think many others are the same - we need both,
each has its own purpose - Elecraft is doing it right - don't monkey
with what works and works quite well.

73,
Don W3FPR