On 10/27/2011 11:28 AM, Fred Jensen wrote:
> The higher I set the averaging, the more I see the
> effect since the band noise on the baseline gets compressed with more
> averaging.

That's when you want the Fixed Tune mode in the P3.  Averaging has the
effect of maximizing signals and minimizing purely random noise. The
display stays in the same frequency range, while you tune across it.
This way, the average does not reset as you tune, so you see the noise
stay down.  FAR more useful.  You need a version of the P3 firmware
that's newer than about 9 months.  V1.09, I think, is when it was
introduced.

73, Jim K9YC