From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Phil Kane
Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2011 3:45 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Overtighted Case Screw Removal?

On 11/13/2011 2:06 PM, DOUGLAS ZWIEBACK wrote:

> So you may need to be a bit more creative than simply rocking the side
> panel 30 degrees to loosen it up (or other panels).  Worst case, you
> can get one of the "backwards" drill bits (no, I don't know what they
> are really called) and take it out that way.  I did not need to do
> that.

  It's called an "Easy-Out" and it's a rather brute force
  procedure, drilling and tapping a pilot hole in the screw.  I
  hate to do that in any screw smaller than 1/4 inch diameter!

  If the problem is that there isn't enough torque to loosen the
  screw and the screwdriver rides out of the groove(s), there are
  compounds (one brand is "Gitta Grip"), a paste that when
  applied in very small quantities to the tip of the screwdriver
  will keep it in the groove(s) and permit more torque to be
  applied to loosen a reluctant screw.  A small container goes a
  very long way.  Search for it on the 'web - it's hard to find
  at retail.

--  73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
    Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402